Gated communities are one of the most popular living systems nowadays. It comprises a small group of people and private properties living inside a common boundary. There are fences, walls, or other types of barriers around the colony, which makes it difficult for pedestrians to enter the properties unnoticed.
Some gated communities have guards continuously patrolling the entrances, while some use digital technologies to fulfill the same purpose. But in both ways, it ensures the utmost security of the residents.
But hey! That’s not the only benefit you get in a gated community. New trends like using biometric systems for protection, using renewable energy, proper management of natural resources, and unique cultural diversity aim to improve your living.
Want to know more about the gated communities and their unique lifestyle? Dig deeper into the article!
Trend 1: Security And Privacy
When selecting a place to live, what do you prioritize the most? Isn’t it the safety? Everyone wants to live where they can be at ease without fearing intruder evading their property.
Top-notch security has always been one of the most important features of gated communities. Usually, there are electric fences, high walls, and automated gates around the neighborhood that restrict outsiders from entering inside. And so, the chance of a criminal attacking you in the streets is almost non-existent. That’s amazing, isn’t it?
Nowadays, gated communities are turning to modern technologies to implement an advanced level of security. Many communities now use pin codes, fingerprints, and facial recognition systems to identify the residents and grant them access to society.
There are also 24-hour CCTV cameras, Night vision cameras, and drones to add more to the security systems in some high-profile gated communities. For example, Bishops Avenue in London, The Ridges in Las Vegas, and the Eko Atlantic in Lagos have successfully adopted such security measures and are now known for being safe neighborhoods.
- Outsiders can not enter into the properties. They are stopped outside the community gate and asked for identification. Only if any resident acknowledges them as familiar can they enter.
- The crime rate is meager in gated communities. As they restrict pedestrians, potential criminals can not set foot inside.
- The biometric system can recognize every resident individually, and the gate only opens for the verified ones.
- Thanks to technology, the need for 24-hour human guards is now gone.
- If anyone tries to breach the security system, the alarm goes off, notifying the residents.
- Residents can live a private life without anyone evading their privacy.
- Such advanced security is only available in some of the elite communities. Living there is pretty expensive.
- If you invite people to your house, you must submit the guest list and their information to the community office beforehand. It can be a little troublesome.
- With biometric technology, the chance of data breaches and cyber-attacks increases significantly.
- Being in a gated community can ensure your exclusivity and privacy but can also isolate you from others.
Trend 2: Sustainability And Resilience
Man and nature have been tied in an inseparable knot since the birth of humankind. Soil, air, and water, we all need these natural resources as the necessities in life. But sadly, these resources are not unlimited, and we are wasting them way too much!
To maintain the sustainability of nature, the United Nations has adopted The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), 17 goals to be achieved by 2030. Most of the countries have accepted to face the challenge and are working on it.
Many gated communities are now following this sustainability trend by changing their perspective and infrastructure. Almost all communities that are adopting this trend have a large community garden. They are combining scientific innovations like a greenhouse, indoor vertical farming, farm automation, etc., to maximize cultivation.
This is benefiting the community from multiple angles. They produce their own foods, add more greenery to nature, and improve the local economy!
Sustainable development has also encouraged communities to depend more on renewable energy. Instead of thermal and hydraulic power, they are now opting for solar energy. So, naturally, there is less air pollution, water pollution, and heat production. All of these are positively impacting the climate!
Take a look at BedZED, the first zero-carbon, sustainable community in London. You can see how they have implemented a ‘green lifestyle’ program, recycling, and renewable energy in their everyday life. They depend on their own resource and are indeed working to improve the environment.
- Renewable energy, especially solar power, ensures less carbon emission in the environment and thus protects it to a great extent.
- Active farming adds more greens to nature. The community also doesn’t have to depend on external sources for food supply.
- The local economy improves a lot when the community is sustainable.
- Due to farming, there are more job opportunities.
- Fresh air, clean water, and proper waste disposal make the area healthy for living.
- The quality of life has improved.
- Proper planning, along with specific infrastructure, is needed to implement this trend perfectly.
- Huge investments and maintenance costs are needed for the whole system to run smoothly.
- Educating the residents about the idea of sustainability and resilience can be a tough job.
Trend 3: Social And Cultural Diversity
In the 1960s, when the idea of a gated community first came into action, most colonies were formed by people from the same cultural and financial background. But now, these communities are more accepting of the trend of social and cultural diversity.
There are multiple housing options like villas, small family homes, and condos, which allow people from variable financial backgrounds to settle within the community. Mixed-income has also favored this movement a lot.
With people of different social and cultural backgrounds living together, a rich cultural diversity can be seen in the community. You get to know about other traditions, beliefs, and unique lifestyles of people from different parts of the world.
Mixed use of community spaces, arranging social gatherings increases the interaction among the residents and helps them to live in a complete harmony. With different festivals and programs, the neighborhood remains lively most of the time!
There are several communities in the world that are known for having a unique blend of different cultures. Celebration in Florida, Vauban in Germany, Curitiba in Brazil, and Woodhaven in Port Orange, Florida, have successfully adopted this trend. You can see them actively celebrating different festivals the whole year around, and the environment is always joyous.
- Multiple cultural variations add more flavor to the daily lifestyle of the residents.
- Mixed use of common community properties ensures healthy interaction among the residents.
- The kids develop a mindset of sharing from early childhood. They also get to learn about multiple cultures.
- A strong economy builds up with people of different social backgrounds.
- A lively environment with different festivals.
- Using common properties can give rise to conflict if the residents don’t have a sharing mindset.
- Discrimination against a specific socio-economic group can develop.
- A clash of perspectives and ideas can pause the development of the community.
- The community maintenance fee can be burdensome for a few individuals.
A gated community allows you to live in peace with extreme exclusivity. But at the same time, it ensures your utmost safety. There is almost no traffic, less noise, and a healthy environment, which makes your living more enjoyable.
But yes, gated communities do have some challenges. You have to spend a decent amount to enjoy the amenities. One of the main drawbacks of such a colony is that it increases the chance of social isolation. Also, social and cultural discrimination can be pretty disappointing.
What are your thoughts on gated communities? Feel free to share with us!