Remodeling your kitchen is one of the best upgrades you can do for your home. Aside from improving efficiency, it can significantly increase property value.
The total cost is crucial in every home improvement project. A full kitchen remodeling may involve a major change in layout, configuration, size, and installation of new cabinets and appliances. Unlike renovation and refurnishing, remodeling requires a larger budget. Therefore, meticulous planning so you won’t go over budget.
To help you prepare adequately, here’s a run-through of kitchen remodel expenses:
1. Kitchen Size
Most contractors offer a ballpark project quote by determining kitchen size. A complete kitchen remodel typically costs between USD$100 and USD$250 per square foot for low-cost to mid-range finishes. For high-end or luxury kitchen remodels, on the one hand, you may expect to spend USD$500 per square foot and beyond.
2. Countertop Material
One of the major expenses in a kitchen remodel is the countertop. A brand-new, high-quality, and durable one is a significant property value booster. Therefore, choosing the best countertop material is crucial. Here are some of the best options:
- Quartz: This material is one of the toughest on the market. It costs between USD$50 to USD$200 per square foot, depending on quality.
- Natural Stone: Natural stone slabs are a classic choice for kitchen countertops. Popular options like granite, marble, and travertine may cost between USD$35 to beyond USD$100 per square foot.
- Concrete: The price of concrete may be low. However, its installation requires expertise. Depending on labor costs in your area, it may cost between USD$65 to USD$135 per square foot.
- Butcher Block: Butcher block is perfect for rustic-style kitchens. It costs between USD$30 to USD$40, depending on the wood type. Expect to spend an extra USD$50 to USD$70 for installation.
- Solid Surface: Solid surface countertop is one of the most practical choices for a budget-friendly kitchen remodel. It costs around USD$65 to USD$95, including installation.
When choosing the best kitchen countertop, prioritize durability to maximize your budget.
3. Kitchen Cabinets
Installing new cabinets is necessary for a complete kitchen remodel, especially if your old cabinets are already old and worn. You have two options depending on your budget.
- Custom: Custom cabinetry is an excellent choice for mid-range and luxury kitchens. It may cost around $300 to $750 per linear foot. It’s expensive due to its exquisite craftsmanship.
- Flat-Pack: Flat-pack or modular kitchen cabinets are perfect for a budget remodel. One unit may cost between USD$90 to USD$350, depending on the material.
Custom and modular cabinets are both excellent choices for your kitchen remodel. The key to selecting the best option is to set your budget.
4. Select Flooring Material
Installing new floors can transform the ambiance and improve the efficiency of your kitchen. Here are some of the best flooring materials to choose from:
- Hardwood: Hardwood floors can make your kitchen classy and cozy, costing between USD$5 to USD$28 per square foot.
- Engineered Wood: Engineered wood is more durable and moisture-resistant than solid hardwood. It may cost around USD$4.50 to USD$16 per square foot.
- Laminate: Laminate flooring is a popular budget option, with prices ranging from USD$2.70 to USD$11 per square foot. Its installation is also DIY-friendly.
- Concrete: Concrete flooring costs between USD$3 and USD$8 per square foot. Expect to spend more if you opt for a stained or polished finish.
- Porcelain Tiles: This flooring material may cost between USD$2 and USD$30 per square foot. Large-format tiles are more expensive than standard ones due to higher installation costs. It’s also best to choose a non-slip surface for your safety.
- Natural Stone Tiles: Natural stone flooring may cost around USD$8 to USD$47 per square foot, depending on your location and material availability.
When selecting a flooring material, prioritize water resistance since the kitchen is constantly exposed to liquid and moisture.
5. Backsplash Type
Installing a moisture-resistant and easy-to-maintain backsplash is crucial to keeping your kitchen safe and clean. Here are some of the best options and their costs:
- Ceramic Tile: USD$1.25 to USD$10 per square foot
- Porcelain Tile: USD$7 per square foot
- Stone Tile: USD$8.50 to USD$17 per square foot
- Peel And Stick: USD$6 to USD$25 per square foot
- Glass Tile: USD$9 to USD$18 per square foot
- Stainless Steel: USD$13 to USD$30 per square foot
The prices vary depending on your location and the quality of materials. You may also opt for a DIY-friendly backsplash, like one made of peel-and-stick tiles, to save on installation costs.
6. Upgrade Appliances
Upgrading kitchen appliances is essential for improving function and energy efficiency. A complete upgrade may cost around USD$3,800. However, the total expenses largely depend on appliance specifications.
These estimates can help set your budget for a kitchen remodel. One tip is to find a trusted contractor to get the best value for your money. Preparing an additional 10% to 20% of the total cost for the miscellaneous expenses is imperative to ensure the project gets finished on time.