Mel Gibson has been bagging awards as an actor and director since he started his acting career in 1976. And if there’s an award for celebrity home design, perhaps his manor would also win. Good thing his estate is currently on the market for $14.495 million.
Gibson bought his 6,500-square-foot property at $11.5 million in July 2008 from Tea Leoni and David Duchovny, Trulia reports. The Braveheart actor put the manor on the market at $17.5 million in 2017, but removed it later on and re-listed it with a new broker.
Whether you’re shopping around for a property to buy or hunting for some awesome home design to pick up, Gibson’s 5.5-acre estate might be a great pick. We will look at the notable features and amenities of his manor in this post.
Mel Gibson’s House Indoor Features
Gibson’s impressive estate exudes a contemporary vibe mixed with an old-world aesthetic. And of course, it’s equipped with top-of-the-line home technology and security features. Based on images from the listings, these are the notable features of the interior:
- Expansive main house – The main house has 4 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms. And in all its areas, one can see stone-topped archways and exposed wood beams, which contributed to the character of the place.
- Kitchen and dining area featuring French country design – One can enjoy an abundance of scenic views from the kitchen and dining area. Thanks to the series of French doors, which provide a smooth transition from the interior to the greenery and mountain-scape outside. The airy dining room features a 10-seater table. There’s also a space for casual dining. Both dining and kitchen areas are fitted with marble countertops and bespoke cabinetry.
- Rustic living room vibe – Like the other parts of Mel Gibson’s home, the living room has beamed ceilings and rustic wood accents. Chandeliers, Medieval-style stonework walls, and arched entryways bring out the old-world aesthetics of the area.
- Cozy and spacious master suite – The main bedroom is a winner in itself. It has 2 walk-in closets, a fireplace, a luxurious bath with a clawfoot soaking tub, and an enclosed private balcony.
- Gorgeous great room – The great room is the perfect place to enjoy some quality time with the family. It encompasses 2 stories with a striking chandelier hanging in the middle. It also has a fireplace and a cozy seating option.
- Spacious family room – Mel Gibson is a proud father to 9 kids. And he tries his best to stay in touch with them. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons he has a huge family room to accommodate his big Hollywood family. The voluminous family room is located near the kitchen and overlooks the breathtaking ocean views.
The major entryway to the main house is a huge folding door. It opens up to the lush backyard, creating a seamless flow between the indoor and outdoor areas.
The outdoor and yard area of Gibson’s manor is as stunning as the interior space. It is skillfully designed to be a perfect place for entertainment and relaxation without compromising function and security.
- Scenic grounds – Gibson’s manor is located in the canyons with stunning views of the Pacific. The property is surrounded by a blanket of native flora and eucalyptus trees that offer natural shade, refreshing forest-like scenery, and security. Yes, one can really say that his home has its own park, considering the size and landscape of the outdoor area.
- Exterior lounge areas – The estate also has multiple alfresco areas. There’s a dining area on the scenic ground. Then, there’s also an area of the lawn fitted with a vine-wrapped pergola with seating options.
- Outdoor entertainment options – Mel Gibson’s house also has terraces with panoramic views of the ocean. Plus, there are 2 swimming pools, one of which is a regulation-sized lap pool. There’s also a pool house and a built-in barbecue area. When one wants to take a break from the home’s amenities, residents could also enjoy the Tennis and La Costa Beach Club rights that the property includes.
- Guesthouse – Aside from the main house, Gibson’s estate has a 2-bedroom guesthouse. It is located above the detached 3-car garage.
Mel Gibson’s taste for the unique and elegant really shows in the way he designed his massive mansion. The property was built in 1996 and had undergone renovations from previous owners before it landed in Gibson’s keeping. Now, as he puts it on the market, the property bears his personal touches. It has become a home perfect for a Hollywood celebrity like himself.
Are you now inspired to pick up a rustic, old-world stylebook for your home? If you do, just refer to Gibson’s home for a list of accents, color schemes, and furnishings to consider. Or if you’re looking for more inspiration, take a look at our other celebrity home blogs.